About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thursday Afternoon 10/21/10

Lest anyone may have missed it or been confused, my status update this morning -- '1.1!' -- did indeed refer to Logan's WBC count. Adam called this morning as I was taking Abby to school just because Logan wanted him to say hi; he didn't have any other info yet, but it'd been days since Logan had asked to call me, so it seemed like a positive thing.


I had an OB check (31 weeks) scheduled for 10:15 (which, incidentally, was rescheduled for next week after I'd already gotten to the office -- blah), so Isaac and I went home insted of hitting the road. I glued myself to my email account waiting for an update, and finally got a note at about 9 saying his CBC still hadn't come back. Ugh! I think life is always like that: When you really want something, you have to wait an unusually long time to get it. Must have something to do with that whole 'building patience' thing.


Anyway, Adam called at about 9:30 to tell me that his WBC count was at 1.1. I felt a little shock of excitement: Over the 1.0 hump, finally! I don't know if they're going to double his GCSF today or not; need to ask. But still, in light of yesterday's apparent backslide (fever, heartrate, respirations were all up), it's such welcome news.


He seems to be doing better today. His belly measured smaller this morning, and he was interested in working on a Halloween treat bag that one of the volunteers brought for him. He told me where to put glue, and he applied the sparklies. In the middle of that activity, he looked over toward the window and said he wanted to open the short stack of cards that were waiting for his attention. That was a big deal because he hadn't had any interest in mail in several weeks. So he opened them. All of that activity wore him out, so he drifted off to sleep while watching Tom and Jerry. And that's what he's doing at this moment. His heartrate is in the 140s and his respirations are mostly in the 40s, so based on those numbers, I'm assuming no fever. That's also big because he had a platelet transfusion this morning. If he's able to avoid developing a fever, the new platelets will have much better chance of sticking around (no pun intended) and helping to jumpstart his own blood to get a'movin' towrd full-scale recovery.


Thanks you again for your prayers last night. I feel pretty confident in saying that God heard them! Please keep them flowing! Best to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment