About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Quandary 10/30/10

Yesterday while we were at Costco, I saw one of Logan's preschool classmates from last year. I pointed her out to Logan, and he spied her walking by and with great effort he swung his leg over the side of the bench where we were sitting as if to try to get up. But I froze and we remained in place: Would him saying hi be okay with mom? I didn't know. And I didn't want to force a mom/kid discussion that someone else may not want to have. Did I do the right thing? If it were you and your 4-year old, would you want us to approach you or not?


My primary reason for hesitation is this: He looks different. Aside from the downy fluff of blonde hair he sports atop his head (in place of the super full, rich strawberry blonde mop he had previously), his surgical scars -- which often look purple and angry -- are apparent. And his eye, at the moment, is again turned inward in an exaggerated fashion. Finally, he's lost some of his lower lashes, which give his eyes a slightly different appearance regardless of them being off-kilter.


So what's the right thing to do? I don't want to force a difficult discussion, but I also don't want to keep Logan from approaching old friends if he wants to do so. I just don't want to do the wrong thing and inadvertently stress anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment