About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Monday, November 8, 2010

The Logan Update: 9/15/2010

So here I am, back in Oakland for Logan support duty. Adam headed home at noon to work for a few hours. For anyone who's wondering, this is what our daily schedule looks like at the moment:


* Sherry spends the night at home with Abby and Isaac. Adam stays with Logan in Oakland.

* Sherry wakes up at 6:40, prods Abby to get dressed/dresses Isaac, breakfast, school drop-off at 8:15. (All of that is one hour later on Wednesdays, since school starts an hour later.) Adam has the morning shift with Logan, and does a little work if Logan is asleep or otherwise engaged with TV or what have you.

* Sherry drives 20 to 30 minutes north to drop Isaac off with MIL at 10 AM, then calls Adam to let him know she's 20 minutes away before driving to the hospital.

* Sherry arrives 10:30 to 11 AM. Adam and Sherry overlap for about an hour; Adam fills Sherry in on Logan's night, Sherry fills Adam in on Abby/Isaac's night.* Adam leaves at noon for home to work from approximately 1 PM to 5 PM.

* MIL drives Isaac to Pleasanton (aka home) and picks up Abby from school at 2:50. She takes them home, out shopping, whatever.

* Adam stops working at around 5, MIL goes home or heads up to Oakland to relieve Sherry - depends on who has crossover Logan duty that day.

* Adam plays with Abby and Isaac for about an hour and a half; Tuesdays he takes Abby to dance 5:30 to 6:30.

* Sherry's relief arrives about 5:30 in Oakland; Sherry updates relief on the day's news and heads home.

* Sherry arrives home about 6:30 (pending traffic).

* All eat dinner quickly, and Adam heads out at around 7 for Oakland.* Adam arrives in Oakland at about 8, relieves relief person (MIL, BIL, FSIL, or FIL) and spends the night.= Rinse and repeat.


In theory, there should be an entry entitled 'Sherry stops at McDonalds before getting on the freeway to drive to MIL's house to drop off Isaac', but it shames me a little so it's been omitted. Meh.


So, Logan. Adam said he had an okay night; he threw up once or twice but didn't spike a fever again. I'm not sure that he doesn't have one right now, based just on touch, but we'll see. He got his second RBC transfusion last night, which pushed his morning level to 11, which is very good. It'll go down again, but it's good that it's up for now because it'll help him recover. At the moment, he's getting a platelet transfusion, because his morning level was at 41, and the doctors want to see it at at least 50. He's complained today that his throat hurts, which isn't surprising since sores can develop as a result of one of the chemo drugs. He's on enough liquid nutrition now that it doesn't really matter if he eats much food or not. So far today, all he's wanted was soda (Sprite) and ice water, though he did order pepperoni pizza and applesauce for lunch.


Otherwise, we're just marching along. His left (unaffected) eye is sort of puffy as I've noted for a few days now, and Dr. T. finally saw it this afternoon during rounds and will send an optho to look at it. Thank God that the guy who missed the diagnosis last month is out of town this week, as apparently he's oncology's go-to optho. I made no bones about telling Dr. T. that I never wanted this guy sent to see Logan, ever; that I'd send him away if he showed up. (Or smack him really, really hard with my handbag; the nurse thought that would be acceptable, actually, but nah.)


Right now sunshine is sleeping, probably because of the Ativan his nurse gave him after he consistently complained about this tummy hurting.


On the Other Kid front, Abby's school counselor called me while I was driving to the hospital this morning. (Don't worry - I was hands-free - I'm Nazi about that.) She said she'd seen Abby this morning and noted that she's a smart little girl and very perceptive. I was very pleased that Abby had been willing to talk with her; knowing my daughter as I do, I'd half expected that she'd sit in a chair and refuse to open her mouth, but she was open. The counselor said she'd told her about the bump in Logan's head, and that she didn't know why it was there. When she asked Abby to point to an emotion illustration that showed how she was feeling, she chose 'worried', but the counselor said she didn't act worried. Not surprising; she's very good at juggling emotion and hiding them when need be. I'm very proud of how she's handling this.


Anyway, please, as always, continue to pray for complete healing. I keep feeling as if something amazing is going to happen here (You don't know what I'm doing), but I also feel like it's going to be a long, drawn out and frustrating process filled with ups and downs of magnitude beyond my current comprehension. I also feel like we need all of you and all of your praying friends fighting this cancer alongside us. God can make this happen. I believe that with everything in me. I'm reminded of the Petra song The Battle Belongs to the Lord. I haven't heard it in years, but it came to me and I Googled the lyrics:


In heavenly armour we'll enter the land

The battle belongs to the Lord

No weapon that's fashioned against us shall stand

The battle belongs to the Lord


We sing glory and honor Power and strength to the Lord (repeat)


The power of darkness comes in like a flood

The battle belongs to the Lord

He's raised up a standard, the power of His blood

The battle belongs to the Lord


When your enemy presses in hard do not fear

The battle belongs to the Lord

Take courage my friend, your redemption is near

The battle belongs to the Lord


In heavenly armour we'll enter the land

The battle belongs to the Lord

No weapon that's fashioned against us shall stand

The battle belongs to the Lord


We sing glory and honor Power and strength to the Lord (repeat)


The power of darkness comes in like a flood

The battle belongs to the Lord

He's raised up a standard, the power of His blood

The battle belongs to the Lord


When your enemy presses in hard do not fear

The battle belongs to the Lord

Take courage my friend, your redemption is near

The battle belongs to the Lord


For me, I need the ability to resist negative, unproductive thoughts, since I'm prone to them and they often plague me and bring down my spirit. Adam could use energy, I'm sure, since he's gone back to working part time (at home).


Thank you for your continued prayers and support. I know these entries vary widely in tone from one day to the next, but I understand that's just the nature of the cancer-fighting beast. Not that I in any way compare myself to David, but at times when I re-read what I've written, they almost feel like modern day Psalms. Craziness on my part, perhaps, but they get me through the day. Blessings to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment