About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Logan Update: 11/9/10

If you're anything at all like me, sometimes you hold your tongue when things are going well for fear that you'll suddenly suffer a change of 'fortune', so to speak. (Not that I believe in fortune, per se; I believe in God. But you already know that.) That's why I've been quiet this week. But in the interest of following The Word, stepping out into the world and telling about what Jesus has done for me, I'll spill it.


All things considered, it's been a really excellent couple of days for Logan. He wound up clearing the Methotrexate a day earlier than last cycle, which is great. 'Clear' is .1 or less, and this morning his figure was .04. Today is cycle day 8; last cycle he officially cleared on cycle day 9, and the number was barely a clear at .09.


His hemoglobin was low this morning (7.3) so he received a transfusion this afternoon (which is still ongoing) and it perked him up substantially. He looks decidedly less pale and has much more energy. He's been eating and drinking (and showing a serious penchant for hot chocolate), has enjoyed playtime with Occupational Therapy (who was nearly aghast when I suggested that we might not send him to Kindergarten next Fall) and has shown treasured shades of his 'old' self at times: Big grins and his 4-year old 'all knowing' speech that has endeared him to many a young woman over time. Just now, I looked over at him in his bed and found his mouth stretched into a patented grin; I asked what he was smiling about, and he pointed out something on TV (Word Girl) that'd caught his fancy.


It's just so good to see him feeling, well, good. Or at least remotely good.


We're coming up on the time when the mucusitis kicked in last cycle, and I'm nervous about it. Please pray that it won't hit him as hard as it did and that it won't last as long this go-round. I feel like he's finally starting to gain back a little of the weight he's lost, and it'd be a shame to lose that progress. It's something of an inevitable side effect medically-speaking, but medicine doesn't know everything.


The other tidbit I'm almost afraid to mention is that if things stay steady and his numbers are okay tomorrow morning, he'll be able to come home until he spikes a fever. Eek. Wouldn't that be amazing? Now I know he's prone to neutropenic fevers and it may only be a day or two, but what a valuable day or two they'd be for us.


That said, Abby and Isaac are both showing signs of a cold. Isaac has a runny nose, and the office at Abby's school actually called to have her picked up early this morning. Go figure, right? I don't think she had a fever, but I do think she was just 'off' enough that her teacher decided she needed some extra rest. Adam was headed back to Pleasanton anyway, so he picked her up and took her home for the afternoon. So yeah, the timing isn't great, because it never really is when you're embroiled in a rollicking spiritual battle, but amazing things are afoot. So we won't worry.


I'm sorry that this is disjointed. I've been trying my best to make it make sense, but I've crossed into the 'up every 20 minutes' phase of pregnancy and am tired. I should mention that all seems to be well with #4; I had an OB check yesterday and he now measures slightly ahead at 34 weeks, and his heartrate was a much more normal 143 for a little boy. Please continue to keep him in your prayers too as my due date approaches (which is December 23, for anyone who doesn't know).


Ah, I melt again... just a moment ago, we had this exchange. It's a good one for closing an entry:


Logan: Mommy?

Me: Yes Logan?

Logan: I love you.


Awwww. And right in front of the nursing assistant. I love how he isn't ashamed of professing love and how he'll say what he feels at any time. At least that part of his innocence is still intact, despite what he's endured. He's still a ray of sunshine.


Oh, and he also just informed me that he wants to go to Chuck E. Cheese for his birthday. And he pointed out that they have pepperoni pizza so he wants that for his dinner. (He doesn't know that we went for Abby's last week. See how alike they are?)


Please keep those prayers for complete healing and health coming! There are so many other things I want to write, so many positive comments I could make, but I can't seem to force them into cohesive strings at the moment. I'll work on that later.


(And as an administrative note, I'm making slooooow progress with getting my entries moved over to Blogger. I'll keep cross-posting here so you can read wherever you'd prefer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment