About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Monday, November 8, 2010

The Logan Update: 9/19/2010

Another quickie update coming your way, largely because I'm (ta-dah!) tired, and trying to convince Isaac that sleeping in my bed isn't really all that great. (Although he did just successfully manage to drag his extremely heavy comforter all the way up the hallway and heave it up onto the bed next to me, so I sense I may lose this battle.)


Today was similar to yesterday, I think. It's hard to tell for sure because Logan was actually asleep for 3.5 of the 4 hours I was with him at the hospital. He was wide awake and sitting with my mother in law by the window when I arrived at 1; about 15 minutes later, he complained that his tummy hurt and asked to get back into his bed. Then about 15 minutes after that, he was asleep. I laid down next to him and dozed for a little while myself.


It was nice to see him smile about the birds outside his window, the new cars we'd brought for him and the BART trains whizzing by. It wasn't so nice to hear him complain about the hair all over Lambie, his pillow and his pajamas. He's currently in 'heavy shed' phase, which, well, sucks. But we'll deal. I know he'll still be Logan, but it'll be so weird to see him without his pretty strawberry blonde hair.


In terms of the numbers game, his WBC jumped up to 1.8 this morning (so six times what they were yesterday), and his hemoglobin is over 10. His platelets fell to 52, though, so I'll be surprised if he doesn't need a transfusion tomorrow. Still no fever, and to the best of my knowledge, none of his blood cultures have come by positive, suggesting that Molly was right and the previous positive was from a contaminated sample.


On a me-front, I'm totally exhausted. The past month has worn me down in all new ways, and I'm just not sure how I'm going to survive the next half year. My prayer is that the treatment will be SO successful and effective that he won't NEED to be in the hospital so long, but we'll see.


Good night to you all. Thank you for your prayers and please keep them up and spread the word. I fear that as time passes, we'll be forgotten since our battle will no longer be new, but I pray that won't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment