About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Humble Pie? slash Logan Update 10.14.10

I deleted most of what I wrote here yesterday, for two different reasons: One, and most importantly, I don't think it conveyed what I was trying to say particularly well. Two, because it didn't sit well with me and I wanted to revise, revisit, re-everything a writer does to make something more pointed.


The condensed version is this: We are financially stable at the moment. I don't know if or how long that will last, but things are okay for now. I've had several people offer me money, and I'd feel badly about taking it, especially from ANYone facing their own economic challenges (as many are). I'm sad that we have no college funds set up for our kids and that the money we're paying out for stupid things like gas and parking SHOULD be going to that purpose, but that's OUR problem, and no one else's. If it means Adam and I work well past the usual retirement age to make sure all of our kids can attend the schools of their choice, then that's what we'll do. Does it make me bitter? Yes. Does it make me sad that I've always saved and never really spent to have fun (eg, vacations)? Yes. But again, that's a middle class 'problem'. I complain about money because it's something I can, to a degree, control. And because it's nowhere as serious as cancer, which is a big 'can't control' in my life at this time. A big thank you to everyone who's done ANYthing at all for us, especially for the prayers. I always appreciate being remembered and thought of.


****************************

I only have a brief update on Logan, since I stayed home today and had a dentist appointment followed by a 'day off'. (Thank you Becky for helping with Abby, and Ann for taking Isaac for me.) Adam said that he was in better spirits this morning, and appeared to be feeling a little better. He does still have a fever. His WBC this morning was back up to .2 again, which I'm now viewing with a VERY cautious dose of optimism, given that that was the very false number he registered two days ago. His Hemoglobin and Platelets were fine, which is good news. His CT this afternoon DID show some inflammation in his intestinal tract, which means he'll be going NPO (no food or drink) until his counts recover more and his body can tackle it. This was something the doctor had thought unlikely, so though it's nice to have some sort of explanation, it's also a little frustrating that he seems to be experiencing a more unusual side effect.


Thanks for your continued prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment