About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thursday Afternoon

There are worse places to be than sitting in a window with a view of the San Francisco Bay. If you've never seen it in person, you're missing out. When it's not socked in with fog, the water is a silvery blue and dotted with tiny white sailboats, and the North Bay hills -- which provide a stunning backdrop -- give off an almost mystical vibe. Nope. Not a bad view at all.

Of course, what that means is Logan is still here at CHO, and this afternoon Brady and I are here with him. He's still sort of languishing. Not in a 'cycle 2 misery' kind of way, rather a 'there's something going on with him and we can't quite figure out what it is' way. His WBC this morning was .1 rather than less than .1, so I'm praying that means that recovery has come a'knockin'. We'll have to wait and see how tomorrow's blood work comes back.

However, he's tired and low-energy, and seems to have a cold, which is odd since he's been on South -- the immunocompromised ward -- for the past several days. Prior to that, he was home for 36 hours, and prior to that, he'd been on South since the 4th. It's all really very mysterious. I'm trying not to give a cockeyed look at the 24 hours he spent on East because there's nothing I can do to go back and change it, but it's hard to resist the temptation to be suspicious. And annoyed, if I'm being completely honest. Anyhow, they're planning to swab his nose sometime today to confirm whether or not it's a cold.

They still haven't done the dye test to see if his line is infected. If it is, it'll be removed and he'll have a pic line placed in his hand temporarily. Apparently the line can't be replaced immediately or he'll run the risk of the offending bacteria settling into the new one and causing the same problems all over again.

So that's the current update. As I made the drive today, I reflected on the past months. On how although things are lousy now, I'm much calmer about it all. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I know the chemo is doing it's job, maybe because the next step is uncertain anyway and I know that infection doesn't automatically equal delay. Maybe it's because the holiday season is over, and there's nothing on the calendar that I want him home to celebrate in the near future. Whatever the reason, it's nice to not be stressing for once.

Thank you all for praying for us and for sharing Logan's story. Please keep up the excellent 'work' and I'll hopefully be back later with more focused requests; right now Mr. Brady is waking up from his nap and I need to get to him before the real fussing begins.


  1. Praying for all of you Sherry, especially for complete healing for Logan.

    I would love to see the view out your window. I've never been to Cali, and it sounds very peaceful.

  2. I think we need a picture from that view :-)

  3. always praying for Logan, Brady, you and the rest of the family. Try to take life day by day and find the joy each day can bring!

  4. Continuing to pray for wisdom for the medical staff. Praying for complete healing for Logan. Giving thanks for the peace you are feeling and praying for it to continue!