About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Logan Update - August 27

It's been a long day.

After Logan received a shot of a 24-hour antibiotic at the ER last night, they sent him back home. The doctor (after consulting with hematology/oncology) told Adam to watch out for vomiting, continued fevers and lethargy. As of this morning, he still had a fever over 101 and was absolutely not himself. But that all proved a moot point: A doc from CHO called back at 9:30 to say that bacteria had grown out from one of his chemo port lumens, so we needed to return.

Since Adam was completely drained from sleeping so little last night --they didn't get home until 3 AM-- I took him in. His temp was still over 101 at triage, despite having had Tylenol 45 minutes earlier, but he tried to be cheerful. He insisted that my phone didn't have a wide enough selection of kid-friendly games, so we chose a new one and he happily played for an hour or two while we did what we always do at CHO: Waited. He eventually fell asleep, and I learned that the bacteria had grown in the sample taken from his blue lumen in just 6 hours' time. Though the doctor was reasonably confident that it was a fairly inocuous infection, he consulted with hem/onc and they opted to have him admitted so they could monitor him intensively.

After more waiting, we were finally moved to an isolation room. And that's probably where he'll be for the next few days. I talked with Dr. G, who is on service this weekend and next week, and she said that as soon as they can figure out precisely which bacteria is involved, they'll try to set us up with an antibiotic pump that we can use at home and discharge him. But it usually takes a few days to isolate the offending bug.

So yeah, for now, we're a house divided yet again. I've had a tremendously stressful day. My heart hurts over all of this, and I wish I could make it stop. I wish I could convince God that we've had enough; that Logan is deserving of that healing touch. But as we've had to do so many times in the past, we're being forced to wait it out.

Please pray for Logan's complete healing and health. Pray that they'll be able to quickly isolate the bacteria so we'll be able to get him treated with the correct medication and home again soon. And for me, pray for my heart. It's been broken so many times this past year that it's coated with a tough layer of emotional scar tissue that makes it hard to be open to anything at all.

Thank you for being a part of Logan's team. Good night.


  1. Been thinking of your family all day. Praying for Logan and hurting for you.
    I hate that you are in pain once again and asking for you all to be getting a break soon! There are no more words, just know that you and your family are being prayed for. (imagine me with no words, that alone should at least make you'd Ike a little!)

  2. I am so sorry that Logan is back in the hospital. I hope that they can figure out what is going on so he can get back home with you. So very sorry for your family. Praying for you!