About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Friday, January 6, 2012

Waiting

We're still waiting for MRI news. But right now, I'm beyond furious.

Adam let me know that Logan's being put on a no-fat diet for the time being, which means he can't have the thing he's been thinking about for hours: Chocolate cake. He loves the chocolate cake at CHO. He talks about it at home. But because a herd of morons didn't check a level for a long while, my little sunshine can't have it and his already crappy life just got crappier.

So far, the team thinks that the outrageous trigylceride level is the result of the Decadron, though Adam says they're all very confused about it. And as far as I can tell, it holds true that they hadn't checked his triglycerides since November, when the number came back high-normal.

Why on the Lord's green earth would you NOT re-check a number for something that can be negatively impacted by steroid use when the initial figure is elevated? Why?

One word is running through my haggard mind right now: Malpractice. I've tried to be forgiving despite some misses by the medical team in the past, but now I'm just angry. They're paid to take care of Logan, and from where I sit, they're doing a half-bum job. And this mama bear is ANGRY.

6 comments:

  1. I'd be angry too. It seems common sense to monitor a level that is borderline even when not on meds that could make it worse. That's infuriating.

    I pray that they can get things figured out and he can be healthy and come home ASAP. And of course for continued complete healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just not right....you have been beyond vigilant and the medical team needs to be on top of these things. If it turns out that it is the cause of him being so miserable for the past few months I am going down there WITH you! In response to your earlier post..my Mom was seriously ill during a good portion of my child hood...I know that she did her best and at times fell short on being the mom that she wanted to be. As an adult (and a Mom) I know look back and have nothing but admiration for how hard she fought and how she continued on even when I know it must have felt near impossible most days. I just know that your kids will feel the same.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would be livid too!!!!!!

    still keeping all of you in my prayers and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely understand your frustration momma bear...Praying and vigilant every day. Love to you guys... Healing is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Logan is in my thoughts and prayers. It's never too late to request a transfer if you think he's getting subpar care.

    Hoping for more answers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. URG. Everytime I type something out this stupid thing keeps saying ERROR!!! ok, devil. enough!
    Praying.

    ReplyDelete