About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Monday, December 26, 2011

On Intercessory Prayer

I've made no bones about it. I consider Logan's battle with cancer to be spiritual in nature. In my reading of the Word, I've become increasingly convinced --yes, convinced-- that we cannot ignore the evil that seeks to mar and destroy human life. When we refuse to admit that it exists, we're more susceptible to its nefarious deceptions.

I've also made no bones about expressing my desire for Logan's healing. As a direct result of that heartfelt, heart-driven desire, I've called on you to act as intercessors on his behalf. I've called on you to plead for healing, for mercy, for peace. I feel a profound sense of gratitude to all of you who have faithfully honored that request, taken up the armor of God Ephesians-style, and gone to war for my little sunshine.

With all of that said, I have to take a risk here and be honest about what doesn't help me. I get frustrated when I ask for intercessory prayer and meet with resistance. If you're not willing to pray for Logan's healing, please don't share your decision with me. It hurts me, it strips away my hope, it leaves me feeling alone and defeated. And I don't deserve that.

A huge part of this battle for me is a mental one. Do I have the faith to believe in healing? Do I have the faith to believe that God desires wellness? Do I have the faith to get up tomorrow morning and go about the business of life when we've been so badly battered by disease and uncertainty for the last year and a half? I want to have that faith. I want to have that belief. I thirst for it. But it's hard; harder than I can express via the written word. Does God NEED to know that lots of people want Logan to be well? Nah. But the knowledge, as a parent, gives me a sense of hope. I don't know why, exactly, but it does.

Anyway, I just wanted to get that out there. I cannot give up. I have to believe. I thank you for your intercessory prayers and for being true warriors for my son and our family.

5 comments:

  1. I don't get it. A friend had someone post a comment saying that reading about my friend's health problems and prayer requests was just too exhausting for her to deal with. Made me so mad.

    I agree with you, why post at all? If someone can't take a moment to say a prayer, but can post a comment about why they won't/can't say one- what is wrong with them?

    Anyway, You have my prayers for Logan to get better- for your family to endure these horribly times and for joy and health in the future.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand where you are coming from Sherry and pray that everyone will heed your words. For what it is worth, I pray feverishly for Logan, you and your family, and I believe with all my soul that it is not in vain. God bless you all and please know we are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand why someone would *not* think about Logan and would not pray for him. Yes, it's painful, but if you and your family can LIVE through it, our part of prayer is infinitesimal in comparison. I think, at least, any mother would understand because a mother's heart is big, big enough to love Logan also and to pray for him. Just know that I am with you all the way, praying for Logan's complete healing and long and happy life on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still here and still praying Sherry. I had to believe as well. Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still praying for both Logan and Rissa. I'm convinced people just don't have common courtesy anymore. They don't think about how powerful their words are before they speak. ~Hugs~

    ReplyDelete