About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Illness and the Zone Defense

It's been... a day. That's about the nicest way I can describe it, and you know the old saying: If you don't have anything nice to say....

Abby began her day by vomiting, so she stayed home from school. An hour or so later, Isaac got up, ate an eighth of a bagel and a handful of Pirates Booty stolen from the pantry, complained that the latter didn't taste right and started spitting into the toilet. Then he complained that his eyes hurt. I sent him upstairs to hang out with Abby, who was watching TV in the master bedroom between wretching episodes. Five minutes later, he too threw up. Then Brady started crying for my attention from the first floor, and Logan, who was also downstairs, also summoned me, so I spent the next few hours running back and forth between the sick ward and the well ward. And then mercifully, Adam came home and took over as the Well Ward warden, while I holed away upstairs as controller of the Sick Ward. Not my favorite post, but someone has to do it since Logan hasn't yet shown signs of illness and we must do all we can to keep him well. And given that it was me who started this whole illness business Friday night, it's fair that I take the less savory role. So tonight, the quarantined area will live on, with Abby and Isaac bunking with me and Adam taking Isaac's bed in the boys' room. (I'm guessing I'll emerge once overnight to feed Brady, of course.) And then, as always, we'll see what tomorrow morning holds.

I'm sorry. I know some of you are completely repulsed by vomit, but it's our reality right now, and you know me: Big on the truth. (And The Truth.) Plus it hopefully has the added benefit of making you feel better about your own reality right now. :)

Anyway, as mentioned previously, we do not want Logan to catch this bug, so please, please, please pray that he'll remain unaffected. Pray for that hand of protection upon him.

I'll be honest about something else. It's been hard for me to ask for prayers lately because I haven't felt particularly protected despite having asked for them all along. But it certainly doesn't hurt to ask, and I'm hoping you'll oblige, and not just in the 'sure, yeah, praying for you' kind of way. No, in the 'I really and truly am stopping to pray for you all' way. In addition to restored health and healing, I'm also asking for renewed vigor and faith. Mine has waned lately in the face of so many ridiculous issues (because that's precisely what they are -- ridiculous, irritating potshots by evil) and I need invigorization. I need to see the Truth and the fiction and be able to separate them once again.

Hopefully, after the kids are asleep, I'll return with that itemized list of needs. Thank you for your prayers. Health and blessings to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment