About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

Most of my family trooped into my bedroom this morning while I was still asleep, and presented me with a plate of waffles, an Abby-designed 'I Love You' banner, cards, and kid-selected gifts. I was keenly aware, however, that someone very special was missing. And my heart grieved his absence. The same thing happened as we went out for brunch; I looked at an empty chair beside Abby and felt that same sting of sadness.

I went to visit my sunshine this afternoon. He's still in the PICU, and though it's not my favorite place for many reasons, it's where he needs to be in the now. He's stable, but has a horrible case of mucusitis that makes each breathe he takes a challenge. His blood gas level has remained good, but he's consistently run a fever and his weight was up markedly this morning, along with a small increase in his bilirubin level. They're watching carefully for signs of VOD, the condition that can lead to renal failure, and just doing what needs to be done to help him weather the current storm. He's largely non-responsive, even when awake, and spends much of his time just staring at the clock on the wall.

Meanwhile, on this Mother's Day, this mother's heart breaks all over again. I want to scream and get angry, but it doesn't do me any good. And at times, I feel as if I don't have the right. It is what it is.

Thank you for your prayers.

5 comments:

  1. Just hugs and prayers. NO mother should ever have to witness that. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought of you often yesterday...as I do most days Sherry. Continuing my prayers for your strength and Logan's healing. I hope that you were able to enjoy some joy on Mother's Day. Your children are so blessed to have you as their pillar. You are truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay strong, Sherry. The mucositis is horrible but you can wait it out. You stay positive while all of us keep praying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Sherry, my heart goes out to you! Let us lift you up with our prayers and good thoughts. Continuing to pray for Logan's complete healing and for next Mother's Day to be all six of you, healthy, happy and together eating waffles and sharing lots of hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Continuing to pray for complete healing! Hang in there, Sherry, it is coming. much love, michele starkey

    ReplyDelete