About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Season's End

I was mulling a few truths a little while ago, and it occurred to me that unless you know me personally, you probably don't know that I'm a freelance writer on the side. I do mostly entertainment news and TV show recaps for a few select reality competitions. I know that seems random. But it's important that I start this entry with that tidbit of 411, since the rest of it won't make a lick of sense unless you're in-the-know. So with that out of the way....

It's been an emotional week. Not that I've had what I'd term a non-emotional week for nearly two years, but the past few days have been extra emotional. Why, you ask? Because, and this will sound a wee bit insane, but because Dancing with the Stars and American Idol both ended.

Say what?

I know. I sound totally nuts. But to be cliche, there's a method to my madness. Or at least a vaguely discernibly understandable explanation behind it. Here's the thing. Those two shows, which I recap for a website that shall remain nameless, have been a lifeline for me this year. One began shortly before Logan departed this life; the other shortly after. They gave me something trivial to look forward to every week. They gave me a predictable activity and an escape from a life that I found almost too challenging to live effectively at times. They gave me something normal, something decidedly not painful and something familiar to enjoy. And now, they're over.

That's not to say that I won't move on with other shows. In fact, both Duets and So You Think You Can Dance premiere on Thursday. And assuming I can figure out how to Houdini my way around the DVR, I'll be recapping those two shows, too.

But I'll mourn the end of the shows that carried me through some of my darkest days thus far. Even as I write this, I think it sounds weird. But I guess weirdness is just a part of who I am. And I'm okay with that.

3 comments:

  1. Honestly, that does not sound weird to me at all Sherry. I can understand what you mean about mourning the loss of something that has been there to try to distract you from overwhelming sadness. I hope that the other shows, or other things that may begin during the summer season, can be that for you when you need it.
    BTW, sorry been out of touch and not posting or commenting for the past couple weeks...we made the big move from Redding to Omaha, NE...and it's been quite a "bear."
    Glad to be back "in the loop" and knowing what you are up to and how you are doing.
    Praying for you my dear friend.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally with you on this. I believe that Live with Regis and Kathie Lee got me through my parents divorce in middle school. The show was a bit lame, but it took my mind off of everything and it was nice to care about something that I knew didn't really matter at all in life. So I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherry,

    I know we don't know each other personally, but I wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten Logan, you, or your family. I pray for you often, and I do believe that Logan is now with our Lord.

    I am so sorry that things are so hard for you. I am so, so sorry that Logan died. I wish I knew what else to say, but words fail me. I guess I just wanted to let you know that you have not been forgotten.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete