About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

00, One Year Later

One year ago tomorrow, Logan entered Day 00 of his stem cell transplant cycle: the first of two days of infusions. Two infusions of his own stem cells that were supposed to help to save his life. Obviously, given the outcome we experienced, I approach tomorrow with extraordinarily mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm sad. No, that's not a strong enough word. I'm devastated that he's no longer within arms' reach. I'm crushed that I can't hold him and look at him tomorrow and think "wow, we were so close to losing you but we didn't."

But at the same time, I enter Day 00, One Year Later feeling an intense sense of gratitude. Because although things didn't go as we prayed they'd go, that stem cell transplant bought us more time together as a complete family. It bought us a summer of fun for the kids, extra video clips, dance parties and days bumming around the house that we otherwise would've been denied. So even amid the sadness of a day that we wish we could remember without tears, there's still something to treasure.

And that's important, because I can't live only thinking about what I lost or what could have been. No, I have to live remembering the awesome thing I had in him. How special he was while he was here, how much he loved, how he danced, how he laughed, how he sang songs and put everyone at ease with his gentle demeanor. Those things are what matter, and I can't let them get lost in my grief. That would be a disservice to my son and to his memory.

Love you, Logan. Happy re-birthday number one.

5 comments:

  1. You are such an amazing woman and mom. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish, So badly, that I had words to heal, or at least slightly help. All I can say is I am so sorry, and I am always here (even though we've never met.)

    Logan has forever changed my life. I don't go a day without thinking about him and his amazingly beautiful attitude (and smile).
    I am so sorry for the loss you and your family experienced. I'm sure you hate hearing that by now... but I don't know what else to say. I just know I have to say something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears again as I read your beautiful words. Logan lives on through so many. You are so incredibly strong! Thank you Jesus that God still receives the glory as you give thanks for what you had. Blessings to all of you at this difficult time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. I admire you Sherry. Keeping you close in thought and lifted in prayer.

    ReplyDelete