About Us

Our family of 6 (dad Adam, mom Sherry, big sister Abby and little brothers Isaac and Brady -- who was born on December 14, 2010) joined the ranks of pediatric cancer fighters when our 4-year old son Logan was diagnosed with a dangerous and highly malignant form of brain cancer in mid-August 2010. Logan's cancer journey began abruptly on Sunday, August 15, when his right eye suddenly turned inward during dinner. Twenty-four hours later, we were checking into Children's Hospital Oakland and finding out that life sometimes takes you places you'd never, ever imagine yourself going.

Friday, July 26, 2013

Approaching Seven

Next Wednesday, the 31st, marks Logan's 7th birthday. Or what should have been his 7th birthday. I'm never quite sure of the semantics there. In my heart, he's definitely turning 7, so I should leave it at that.

July 31, 2006 is still the day that I gave birth to him. That day kick-started the lifelong process of realizing that despite my preconceived notions of myself, I'm actually a good mom to boys. It's still the day that my heart doubled in size for the second time. (The first time, of course, was when Abby was born in 2004. It doubled in size again when Isaac was born in 2008, and yet again when we had Brady in 2010.)

I don't know what we'll do to observe his special day. On my other kids' birthdays, we take official pictures. Obviously that's not an option, but I know we'll figure out something fitting that will honor his memory, and his spirit, which I know --in whatever way it's possible-- is still out there. Still with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment